Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lonely Winter

copyright 2009 Hannah Phelps
oil on paper, 8" x 10"

I went to the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester, NH yesterday. I hadn't visited the museum in a while and it was really nice to see some paintings I consider "old friends." Among these was a large forest scene by Neil Welliver. "Blue Pool", a monster of a canvas at 96" x 96", was the first Welliver I remember seeing and the piece that made me want to become a painter. The woods is horribly complicated visually-there are sticks and leaves and weeds all over the place- but he knew how to capture it without simplifying it beyond recognition.

I don't paint like Neil Welliver, but I am drawn to the same natural subjects. He made me see that it is possible to recreate the woods on a flat surface with paint.

Want to know more about this painting? Contact me at the email on the right!

1 comment:

Mike McEvoy said...

Very nice blog Hannah. I especially like Winnie and the Long-distance swimming painting and caption as well as the lemon tree painting. Keep up the good work!