Friday, April 10, 2009

April Wave Study

copyright 2009 Hannah Phelps
oil on canvas, 5" x 7"

I promise that I am doing the Woodbury exercise, even though it has been raining. As with many exercises, these little stump paintings aren't all ready to show themselves online. I am going to finish the exercise and think about them and decide later if any should be posted.

In the meantime, I went to the coast yesterday. The weather was sunny, but the wind was vicious and I was able to do just a little study of the surf. Little paintings like this one and those of the stump end up teaching me more than I realize while I am working on them. Often I am not at all satisfied with the little sketches on the day I work on them, but when I stumble on them months (or years) later, I treasure the memory of the experience.

NFS

No comments: