Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mountain Abstract-SOLD

copyright 2009 Hannah Phelps
white-line relief woodblock print inked with watercolors
image size: 2.25" x 12"

Last spring, I learned a really exciting printmaking method called "white-line relief." Invented around 1915 in Provincetown, MA, it is different from other relief techniques in a few key ways. Usually, woodblock prints are either made with different blocks for each color and applied in layers or, in the case of reductions, each color is printed and then the same block is recarved between each layer. By contrast, white-line relief blocks are carved and inked with watercolor or printmaking inks using a paintbrush and one "cell" of color is transferred to the paper at a time. The carved lines in the wood prevent the colors from running into each other and gives the technique its name.

I have spent quite a bit of time (when I should have been painting) playing around with these prints. This piece was my absolute first one and while it might be small, I am still pleased with the result. So, keep you eyes out for more white-line reliefs on this blog, since I can't seem to stop making them!


This print has SOLD!

*but there are more impressions from this block available...
contact me! 

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Don't stop! I'm curious to see where you're going with this. Really nice first print, too.

mood indigo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mood indigo said...

Girl...it was awesome to see the print in person...
WAITER!!! More rum!!!