Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Some Studies


copyright 2009 Hannah Phelps
oil on canvas
8" x 12"

Even though it has rained most of the summer, I have been to the coast to paint a few times. I did these paintings a few weeks ago on a day that was supposed to be nice, but ended up cloudy and rainy. Since I had driven over an hour to get to the ocean, I painted anyway.


copyright 2009 Hannah Phelps
oil on canvas
8" x 12"

No matter what the weather, I still enjoy the challenge of painting the ocean - watching the water swell up into waves and crash down on the rocks or gently sweep by them and trying to isolate the exact moment I want depicted on my canvas. There is often more quiet observation than the mixing and brushing on of pigments with these studies. How do I know when a plein air study is finished? Usually when the tide goes out (or comes in), but in the case of these two, when it starts to rain.

2 comments:

tina410 said...

I had no idea you were such a talented painter. I love all your prints. I use to paint a lot myself untill life got in the way. It was always great therapy LOL!!

Hannah Phelps said...

Thanks Tina! If you ever want to get back into painting, let me know!