Friday, January 29, 2010

Dog Days-Study of Hatrick

copyright 2010 Hannah Phelps
oil on canvas board
5" x 7"

While both of us would rather be outside plein air painting, Hatrick is a great companion in the studio. She curls up in a quilt-draped chair in the corner, conserving energy in case something exciting happens. Lately, I have noticed that she sleeps in that chair even if I haven't set foot in the studio all day. I must be clocking enough hours indoors for her to assume I'll be joining her any minute.

The other day, I was working on a landscape when I stopped for a minute just to enjoy the sight of my relaxed dog sleeping in a ball with her tail warming her nose. On a whim, I grabbed a small canvas board and started painting her instead. At some point, Hattie did wake up and move her head, but I already had enough down to finish the quick sketch. I have drawn and painted my other dogs too, and it is these small studies that I end up treasuring through the years.

No comments: