Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Low Tide

copyright 2010 Hannah Phelps
4.5" x 6.5" image size
unframed

I went to the beach today. After yesterday's oppressive downpours, Hattie and I needed a non-icy place to get some fresh air. Hattie started to get excited as soon as she smelled the sea. Sensibly, she stayed out of the water (so did I...) and happily chased her ball in the sand.

Not only did I enjoy watching my dog run amok up and down the beach, the spectacular surf was also a wonderful site. I didn't realize how much I had missed the ocean this winter. Occasionally, I regretted not having my painting gear. This feeling would pass as soon the wind kicked up and I would instead feel grateful to be there, enjoying a fun day with Hattie.

Since it was low tide when I visited the beach today, I was reminded of the print at the top of the post. I have long been fascinated by the patterns water makes as it flows down the sand flats, striving to catch the ocean at its ebb tide. The interlocking shapes of the water pools and streams with the darker sand change constantly. Unless, of course, it is a print from a woodblock...


Note: this print is unframed, but it can be framed. If this interests you, contact me.

No comments: