Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Winning Weekend in New England

 "Ocean Point Scene II"
etching, aquatint, a la poupee 
oil ink on paper

Lately, there have been quite a few victories up here in New England. To kick it off, my etching, "Ocean Point Scene II", won honorable mention at the  New Hampshire Institute of Art's Continuing Education Exhibit! I have seen the other wonderful pieces in the show and whoever judged us had their work cut out for them! 

My art victory was in good company. The third Monday in April is Patriot's Day in nearby Massachusetts. Of course we New Englanders all sit around and think about the significance of April 19, 1775 when the first shots of the American Revolution changed the modern world. But mostly we celebrate with our biggest sports day of the year and athletes from all over the globe come to join us.

First and foremost, four champions were crowned in the 114th Boston Marathon and two records fell! Teyba Erkesso and Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot won the running race, and Cheruiyot now possesses the course record!

In the wheelchair event, Wakako Tsuchida repeated as women's champ for the fourth time in a row and Ernst Van Dyke became the only Boston Marathoner in any category to win the event NINE times!

In case one of the most prestigious marathons in the world isn't enough for you, the Red Sox always play in the morning. After the game, baseball fans stick around and cheer the runners still on course. Still want more? To top it all off, the Bruins (our ice hockey team) beat their playoff opponent on home ice.

Let's all offer a huge "Congratulations" to all our champions from this week! A special salute goes to my fellow artists in the NHIA exhibit, "Best in Show" winner, Vicki Curry, for her lovely painting, "Clay Haven Mercury", and "Honorable Mention" recipient, Barry Dial and his delicate, haunting photograph, "Surf". 


11 comments:

lynnbridge said...

I got a kick out of this post because I had never put all those Boston-area events together in my mind. Certainly I had not linked them to Patriot's Day!

Congratulations on your winning print! It is beautiful.

merci33 said...

I stand beside Lynn on the great connections you helped me make through this post.

BRAVO!!! you on the recognition for your lovely work.

Also I really appreciate learning *from you* through your sidebar listing...I particularly like the way, right there at the top, you let us know where your work is currently being shown...I may have to 'borrow' that share ;-)
It's so smart.

Hannah Phelps said...

Most of MA (and ME) gets Patriot's Day off. I remember quite vividly, though, that I had to skip class to go to the marathon one year from Mount Holyoke while the Wellesley women ALWAYS had a holiday. I am almost over it... :)

I appreciate the feedback about my sidebar. I am anxiously awaiting the "Sidebar" lesson to see what the docs think!

Hannah said...

Congratulations on your win. In printmaking to boot! I found your comment about the first shots of the Revolution and the connection to art and sports fascinating. I don't think the sense of American history is as palpable out here. People tend to get concerned with the latest edge, i.e. Silicon Valley. Thank you for putting it into perspective!

Hannah said...

p.s. Hannah--I'm having a hard time trying to "follow" your blog. When I click on "follow" it takes me to a facebook connection. What to do?

Hannah Phelps said...

Hannah, glad you liked the info!

I will look into the "following" thing-thanks for letting me know about it!

Barbara Carr said...

Hannah, congrats on your accomplishment! It's great to get that kind of feedback for all the work you put into your art.

Hannah Phelps said...

Thanks, Barbara!

merci33 said...

Hi Hannah P

I hopped over to see if you had posted your award winning print in a larger format.

In the meantime I signed on to follow your blog and had no problem at all...thought you'd like to know.

Hannah Phelps said...

Thanks for the info on following me, Iona! I will change the picture of the print :)

Kadira said...

Congrats Hannah on your win for your etching - gives you a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it!