Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dog Days-Sun King

copyright Hannah Phelps
oil on canvas, 6" x 8"


The Unleashed benefit for the Animal Rescue League of NH is fast approaching! If you want to know more about this show, check out McGowan Fine Art's blog!


Today, we have another painting of my Pine Run Leroi Dusoleil, aka Flash.


In a previous post, I talked about the philosophy behind naming canine athletes. "Flash" is obviously an appropriate name for an agility dog who needs to be fast and precise while negotiating courses, but what the heck does his longer AKC name mean?


When Flash was a little puppy, I took him to my parents' house to meet my family. He was a tiny fuzzball, but that didn't mean he was easily ignored-he was loud and energetic and constantly in motion. I had put him in a pen for everyone's safety when my sister, Abby, arrived to meet her new "nephew".


When Abby walked into the room, he inexplicably stopped barking, chewing or jumping. He sat perfectly motionless, staring up at her with sunlight filtering in the window and glowing in the blond fuzz crowning his head.


"You look just like le Roi du Soleil!" she said to him.


To my amazement, he remained still. "Finally" he seemed to reply, "someone who recognizes me!"


And that is how my young Flash ended up named after the French "Sun King", Louis XIV


That is also why HE had to appear in this particular painting.


See you on the 25th at McGowan Fine Art in Concord, NH from 5-7 pm!

4 comments:

PRISCILLA MAE et al (Meg Mitchell) said...

What a beautiful dog. Funny, I was doing research for a new blog post on some of my favorite Parisian monuments. Most of my favorites were built during the time of the Sun King and incorporate beautiful golden features as in Versailles, Pont Royal and Les Invalides. The golden hue of these landmarks are similar to your friend ... thus the name.

Hannah Phelps said...

Were you planning next year's trip, Meg?

My sister lived in France for about 6 mos. after she graduated from college, so we have incorporated some French phrases and jokes from that time in our lives.

Flash happened to get FILTHY that same weekend, which was no surprise. So we put him in the bathtub and he was so scrawny when wet that she sang this little song to him:

"Le Roi du Soleil, dans le bain
comme une souris, il se lave."

We have a lot of silly little stories like that :)

Hannah said...

I love the story of how your dog got his name. My younger sister just adopted a kitten who has earned herself a slew of names with her buoyant energy. Strange how it takes a while for someone to call us by our true name!

Le Roi du Soleil has definitely earned his in your painting...

Hannah Phelps said...

I am glad you enjoyed the story, Hannah!

It is funny how many names our pets collect over the years!