Thursday, August 4, 2011

White-line Woodcuts Here and There

© Hannah Phelps
Woodblock for Calm Day at Fort Stark

This weekend I will be in Silver Spring, MD to attend the opening of the 14th Annual Small Works Exhibit at the Washington Printmakers Gallery. 
My print, Calm Day at Fort Stark, will hang with a few dozen others that were chosen by juror Robert K. Newman of The Old Print Shop in New York City.  Newman is giving a talk at the reception and I am excited to hear what he has to say about his selections. I am also looking forward to seeing the other prints!

As a bonus, alongside National Small Works 2011 is a solo exhibition last year’s winner, Kiyomi Baird.

If you are in the DC area, come by and see me at the Washington Printmakers Gallery at one o’clock on Saturday!

In case that isn’t enough printmaking news for you, in July I created a couple of white-line woodcut prints outside in Odiorne Point State Park during the Petite Art in the Park event - a week-long invitation to create artwork within the park. Since there aren't many more beautiful places on Earth and I loved the print I made last year(click here to see it), I pushed myself to create two this year:


© Hannah Phelps
Low Tide Seat
"plein air" white-line woodcut print, 6" x 9" - SOLD

© Hannah Phelps
Wave on a Perfect Day at Odiorne Point State Park
"plein air" white-line woodcut print, 6" x 9"

Lots of activity in the past month or so, which is great! I think that old famous song line should be changed to “Summertime and the living is BUSY.”





____________________________________________

No comments: