Monday, March 19, 2012

Creative Half-life

© Hannah Phelps
relief print in process

Paintings and prints have something similar to a half-life - the closer they get to "done" the less there is to do, but somehow it takes the same amount of time and energy to figure out what that is and do it as in the bigger steps and earlier stages.

Maybe half-life isn't the best term to use, since it is about the destruction of material and I am constructing something, but I think you get the picture.
 
I can use all the fancy terms and scientific metaphors I want, the print you’ve been following in the past couple of weeks just plain old isn’t done. And it won’t get done until it is done. And that might be tomorrow when I add the “final layer” or it might be next week after I have decided it needs yet another layer.

Just because one print isn’t finished, doesn’t mean I can’t start new ones. 
In fact, it is helpful to work on two at once. While one is drying, I can work on the other one.

The new print, pictured above, has three layers so far. I know it just looks like a yellow square.  That will change soon.

Stay tuned...

___________________________________________

No comments: