Monday, March 12, 2012

Pressing It In

© Hannah Phelps
block and print on press

For the past week or so, we've been talking about a brand new jigsaw reduction relief. I have told you that I am carving the design into a woodblock and using oil-based inks.

After the ink is rolled onto the wood, how does it end up on the paper? 

There are a few ways to transfer an image onto paper. In Life on the Edge and my white-line woodcuts, I place a piece of paper on the block and rub it with a wooden spoon. This pushes the paper into the ink so it can now sport its own image - the reverse of that on the block.

Hand rubbing is a very traditional method in printmaking and lots of artists use spoons. But I wanted to try something else with this print, so I am running the block through a press.

I love using a press! The extra pressure is embossing some of the shapes in the print. I don’t have a press at home, so for now I can only print at the local art school. I have a regular class each week and there are some open studio hours, so this hasn’t been a problem.


Soon, there should be a photo of the final print! Just a few more layers to go. I think...

_________________________________________________

No comments: