Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lilac Festival Update

© Hannah Phelps
Wentworth-Coolidge Rock
oil on board, 8" x 10"


Last Saturday, I painted outside in Portsmouth, NH as part of the Lilac Festival at the Wentworth-Coolidge Historic Site.

The weather was perfect - warmth without excessive heat and bright views all around.

Even though the site offers a wide variety of subjects - the Wentworth-Coolidge Mansion, gardens, marshes, islands, and kayakers to name a few - I painted what I usually paint. A rock.

I painted this same rock on site last year and started a large studio painting of it.  It is kind of my thing - get obsessed by a rock and keep painting it.

While a bunch of artists worked outside, the Coolidge Center for the Arts hosted a dry painting exhibit. That will be up until June 24th (info in the sidebar). I have a few rock paintings in there too, if you haven’t had enough yet.

In the meantime, I've been creating prints. I will show you some WIPs (works-in-progress) next week!

No comments: