Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tail Wagging the Painting

Hatrick helping me paint the ocean
detail of a plein air study

Lately, I have had only new prints to show you. My painting time was limited because of the solo exhibit at the Washington Printmakers Gallery. While I painted less than I normally would in the months leading up to the August show, I did keep painting.

As much as I could, I kept my weekly date with the coast. Sticking to a plan feels good, even if the paintings don’t work out.

I love the ocean and I enjoy attempting to paint moving water from life, but I admit that some days it seemed easier and more responsible to stay home. After all, I had prints that I had to start, finish, frame, photograph, sign, number, etc. And it takes over an hour to get there - wouldn’t that time be better spent in my home studio with zero commute?

Luckily for me, I used one of the top tips for sticking to a long term plan - buddies.

I don’t mean the other painters who occasionally join me, though I love it when they show up. I have a more constant support system and they have little patience with me sticking close to home when there is more fun to be had elsewhere.

Whenever I am in danger of choosing indoor studio time on a beautiful day, I look into the eyes of my two Goldens and know that I have one reasonable option. We have to head for the sea. It is good for all of us.

Do you have buddies that keep you on track?

No comments: