Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Brushworks in the Studio

plein air sketch and studio work in progress


I am very excited to be painting again after a few months off due to a shoulder injury. I have to take it slowly, so I am just doing little things. 
There is really no better way to get back in the groove than to just pick up a brush everyday for a short amount of time.

Instead of working from photographs, I am taking older plein air paintings and using them as inspiration. The photo above shows an example - the old painting, on the left, is a small sketch from Monhegan Island and the new studio painting is on the right.

I am not done with it yet. While I am painting daily, I am not forcing myself to finish anything if I get too tired. I can go back later and figure out what it needs.
I have started a new blog for these paintings - Hannah Phelps Brushworks. You should see the finished version of this painting there very soon.

No comments: