Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Jigsaw That Came Together


Marsh Spring
© 2013 Hannah Phelps
jigsaw relief, edition of 10, 4.5" x 11"


After another couple of days of work, this edition is done!

I tweaked some of the colors and if you compare the print above with the proof I showed you in the last post, you can see that I adjusted some of the shapes too.

I am using a different type of paper than I usually do. This is a Japanese paper called Kinwashi. It is nice and thin, so it was easy to transfer the image with my trusty wooden spoon. It also has small, stiff fibers in it. I don’t know why, but it does give an extra texture to a design that might end up looking a bit flat. I had to watch out when I printed it though - a couple of them gave me splinters!

From a painting I created long ago - maybe 2009 - to this print. Not a quick process, but a worthwhile one!

No comments: