Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Artists Buying Art


Benson I, painted from life by Karen McLain
© Karen McLain, posted with permission of the artist

I went to the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen's Fair yesterday. I go with my husband every year and we usually buy things. 

One year, we didn't buy anything - not one thing! And I felt very sad on the drive home. I don't let that happen anymore. This year, we more than made up for that sad year.

I am on a buying kick, I guess. A couple of weeks ago I bought myself the present you see at the top of the post.

It is a painting by an artist named Karen McLain. I have known of her work for a few years now, and when I had a chance to buy something, I kinda jumped on it. Since I ask all of you to buy my art all the time, you should know that I am a collector too. And I will treasure this piece for a long, long time.

Back to Karen and the painting I just bought - she pre-sold some pieces for a trip she took into the wilderness to paint wild horses from life. You read that right. She lived in a camper and set up an easel near these animals and painted them. 

Karen sent me some links to video she shot out there:



 
Honestly, capturing these animals in paint from life seems like magic to me. The horses in her pieces are breathing and alive and have individual personalities. Only a huge amount of technical skill and knowledge could produce paintings that seem this deceptively free and loose.

Karen is my “Painting from Life Hero”. (I told her that on facebook once.)

I could probably write more about Karen and her horses, but the best way to experience these paintings is by going to her multiple online sites and marveling at them yourself. Enjoy!







4 comments:

Karen McLain said...

Hannah, thank you so much for a wonderful blog post! It really is an honor for me to have my work in your home , and a true blessing to be able to paint what inspires me. It is friends like you that help make that happen and add encouragement to my painting process as well!

Linda Martin said...

What a wonderful way to share Karen's art. I've featured some of Karen's work on my blog too a couple of years ago and also was a sponsor of her trip last year. I love the way you highlighted her activities Hannah. Very nice indeed.

Congratulations for another successful trip to paint the wild horses from life, Karen. I always enjoy your efforts.

Hannah Phelps said...

It was my pleasure, Karen! I love my painting and I am so glad that I have it to look at forever!

Hannah Phelps said...

Thanks for stopping by LLMartin! It is nice to find a fellow Karen McLain fan!